New Year's Resolutions are a common part of starting the year off on the right foot. But what if this year, instead of vowing to lose weight or save money, you resolved to declutter your life and simplify your routine?
How about we also call it a list instead of a resolution. On average, New Year's Resolutions fall by the wayside by the 32nd day of the year. We don't want that, so let's not call them resolutions.
Let's delve into some tips and info to help you build your minimalist new year's list. We'll go over benefits and what to include while making your list. As well as what not to include. We'll also touch base on some questions you may have about minimalism.
Ready to dive in? Let's get started.
*This post contains affiliate links to products. I may receive commission for purchases through these links.*
What are the benefits?
1. Helps set goals and achieve them
Making a list st the start of each year can help set goals and achieve them by providing clarity on what you want to accomplish. It helps you identify what is important to you, and gives you a sense of direction for the year ahead.
By setting clear, actionable goals with measurable outcomes, you can track your progress more easily and stay motivated as you work towards achieving them. Additionally, writing down your goals makes them more real and tangible so it's easier to stick to them over time.
2. Helps you stay focused on what's important
Making a New Year's list helps you stay focused on what's important by giving you a sense of clarity and purpose. It can help you identify the tasks, appointments, and projects that are most important to you, as well as those that can be let go of.
By taking the time to reflect on your goals for the year ahead and writing them down in one place, it becomes easier to focus your energy where it matters most. Additionally, making a list can also help you become more grateful for everything that is already in your life.
3. Helps you get rid of distractions
Making a New Year's list helps to get rid of distractions because it provides an opportunity to assess your current habits and identify areas where you can improve or change.
By taking the time to make a list of goals for the new year, it can also make you more aware of what you're purchasing and why. This will help you avoid unnecessary purchases that take up space or drain your energy.
Additionally, having a clear vision for what you want out of the year will help keep your focus on important priorities rather than distractions.
4. Helps you live a more minimalist lifestyle
Making a New Year's list can help you live a more minimalist lifestyle by helping you identify areas in your life that need improvement and setting goals to achieve them.
By making a list of goals, you are taking the time to think about what is important to you, what needs changing or improving, and how you can reach your goals. This process helps foster self-awareness and awareness of your surroundings, which can lead to an overall reduction in material possessions as well as an improvement in quality of life.
Additionally, creating goals on paper serves as a reminder for when things get difficult or busy so that you don't lose sight of what's important.
5. Helps you become more mindful
Making a New Year's list can help you become more mindful because it encourages you to be present in the moment and focus on your goals for the year ahead.
By making this list, you will be able to turn on all your senses and fully experience life, as well as achieve greater mindfulness. This will bring health benefits such as reduced stress levels and improved mental clarity.
Furthermore, making a list helps you visualize what you want out of the year ahead so that you can work towards achieving those goals with purposeful intentionality.
6. Helps you save money
Making a New Year's list can help you save money by allowing you to prioritize what matters most to you and where your money should be going.
By prioritizing your spending and buying fewer things, you will have more money available for what matters most to you—such as experiences with family and friends, new projects, travelling the world or taking a leap into a new career or entrepreneurship.
Additionally, by valuing items less and only buying what is necessary, you can free up funds for these pursuits. This also helps in finding ways to save more, which can eventually lead to working less since there will be more funds available for these purposes.
7. Gives you a sense of accomplishment
Making a New Year's list gives you a sense of accomplishment because it provides an opportunity to set goals and achieve them. It helps you stay motivated by making the process exciting and rewarding, as you can see how much progress you've made towards reaching your goals each day.
By putting up a weekly calendar on your fridge or wall, you can keep track of your progress and stay on track with achieving your goals. Or a vision board background on your computer could be the visual reminder that best motivates you.
8. Increases self-awareness
Making a New Year's list increases self-awareness because it forces you to take a step back and reflect on what is important to you. It allows you to take stock of your life, identify areas that need improvement, and set goals for the year ahead.
By taking the time to create a list of resolutions or goals for the new year, you become more aware of your motivations, desires and values. This helps increase self-awareness by helping you understand yourself better and realize where changes need to be made in order for you to live a happier life.
9. Allows you to celebrate small victories
Making a New Year's list helps you to celebrate small victories because it allows you to acknowledge the progress you are making towards your goals.
By putting up a calendar or journal and writing down your achievements each day, you can track your progress and see how much closer you get each day towards reaching your goal. This will help keep you motivated and encourage you to continue working hard towards achieving your goals.
Furthermore, it can also be an effective way of celebrating small victories such as losing five pounds or completing an essay on time.
What to include in your list?
When creating a New Year’s list of goals, it is important to include both long-term and short-term goals. Long-term goals should be measurable, actionable and achievable within a specified timeframe. Short-term goals can help you achieve your long term goal by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps.
Additionally, it is helpful to set deadlines for each goal in order to track progress and stay motivated along the way.
Examples of goal categories include personal development (e.g., learning a new language), career (e.g., applying for a promotion), health/fitness (e.g., losing 10 pounds) or lifestyle changes (e.g., eating healthier).
2. Decluttering Efforts
Decluttering efforts are the process of eliminating excess items from your home in order to create more space and reduce clutter. It can be as simple as throwing out old magazines or as comprehensive as a major furniture overhaul.
You may not think this fits on your list, but a cluttered home can derail goals easily. Decluttering efforts are a great addition to any New Year's list because they help you get rid of unwanted items, create space for new ones, and make your home feel more organized and peaceful.
By being mindful of what motivates you to declutter (such as having more room for entertaining guests), you can better plan out how to achieve your goals without losing sight of them along the way. Furthermore, by considering environmental factors such as upcycling or creative use of items before throwing them away completely, you can reduce your impact on the environment while still achieving your desired minimalist look at home.
3. Goals for Self-Care
Self care is often overlooked, but should definitely be on your list of goals each year. This could be as simple as getting your hair done or curling up with a good book for an hour.
Here are a few self care ideas:
- Taking time out to relax and unwind with activities such as meditation, stretching, taking baths or walks in nature.
- Eating healthy foods that fuel your body and mind, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables instead of processed foods full of sugar or artificial ingredients .
- Taking time to exercise regularly so you can stay fit , reduce stress levels and improve overall health
6. Lifestyle Changes
Lifestyle changes are difficult for everyone. From quitting smoking to creating a fitness routine, these changes are typically the hardest to turn into habits.
When creating a New Year's list of lifestyle changes, it is important to consider the following areas:
Physical Health: Include goals such as exercising more, eating healthier foods, and getting enough sleep.
Emotional Well-Being: Set intentions to practice mindfulness and gratitude regularly.
Finances: Create a budget to track spending and set savings goals for the year ahead.
Relationships: Prioritize time with family and friends while also making an effort to connect with new people.
Environment: Reduce household waste by switching out single-use items for reusable alternatives.
7. Relationship Changes
When it comes to relationships, quality over quantity matters. Minimalism can be particularly beneficial in this area.
Relationships with people who are chronically negative, unsupportive or abusive aren’t healthy for us in the long run. They use up our energy and resources that frankly, are better directed elsewhere. Toxic relationships distract us, put us down, and often prevent us from reaching our potential. If you have people who aren’t supportive, positive influences in your life, it’s in your best interest to either remove or reduce the time spent with them.
It is often said that we become the average of the five closest people around us, so think about who you want in your corner:
Finances are often a stressful area of our lives. Creating attainable goals and working to keep our finances in order helps relieve stress and allows us to focus on other areas and goals.
When creating a New Year's list for finances, it is important to include all aspects of your finances. This includes:
– Writing down all your expenses for the past month and analyzing them to find where you are spending the most money.
– Creating a monthly budget and setting aside specific percentages of your paycheck towards debt or savings each month.
– Avoiding spending money on items that are not needed in order to save money for future goals or emergencies.
The beginning of the year is the perfect time to go through your wardrobe. This is one area we tend to avoid, for no real reason. Sometimes, we just don't want to let go of those clothes we may never wear again. Other times, it may be because we don't want to hurt the feelings of those who gave us certain items in our closet.
Starting the year with a fresh wardrobe will help you feel refreshed and new. It will also give you a chance to get rid of clothes you no longer wear or need.
This year, try converting to a capsule wardrobe. It makes the yearly closet refresh a lot easier.
10. Career Goals
Take a look at your career. Are you where you want to be? If not, what's holding you back? It may be time for a change.
The new year is a great time to start fresh, and there's no better way to do that than by taking a new job. If you enjoy social media, consider a social media manager career. If you like to write, you could start a blog or write for one (or many). You could start learning how to make passive income without MLM schemes. There are so many new, unconventional career paths available. .
No matter what you do, make sure you enjoy it. The new year is a time for change, so make sure you're changing for the better. Choose a career that you'll love, and make sure it's one that will make you happy.
Some other career goals to include in your New Year's list could be:
• Pursuing a degree or certification in a field that interests you.
• Getting involved with local organizations or volunteering at charities.
• Finding a new job or career path that is more fulfilling and pays better.
• Taking on more responsibilities at work and becoming more productive.
• Learning new skills or acquiring certifications that can help advance your career.
How to make the most out of your New Year's list
Step 1: Choose a minimalist New Year's goal
Some good minimalist New Year's goals include:
– Eating healthier and more balanced meals
– Exercising regularly
– Getting enough sleep and rest each night
– Prioritizing self-care activities such as meditation or yoga classes
– Cutting down on stressors in your life, such as technology distractions or excessive commitments
– Decluttering your home and workspace to create a more peaceful environment for yourself.
Step 2: Research and choose a minimalist New Year's resolution goal
1. Start by thinking about the areas of your life that you would like to improve, such as health, finances, relationships or work.
2. Make a list of potential resolutions related to these areas and write down any ideas that come to mind.
3. Research each resolution to ensure it is realistic and achievable for your lifestyle; this may include reading articles or speaking with experts on the subject matter.
4 . Once you have identified a resolution that is suitable for you, write down specific goals that will help you achieve it in an attainable timeframe .
5 . Revisit your goal regularly and adjust it if necessary so that it remains relevant with changes in life circumstances or priorities over time
Step 3: Make a plan to accomplish your goal
1. Identify your goal: What is the overall purpose of your goal? What do you want to achieve?
2. Make it measurable: How can you measure your progress towards reaching this goal? How will you know when you have reached it?
3. Break it down into smaller actions: What steps can you take to reach your larger goal? List them out step by step, with each one being actionable and measurable.
4. Track progress regularly: Set up a weekly calendar on your fridge or wall above desk if working from home for easy tracking of progress towards goals and motivation along way!
Step 4: Create a regular journaling practice
Creating a regular journaling practice can help you gain self-awareness, question old stories, and imagine a different way of living.
By doing so, it will help you make the most out of your list by helping you prioritize your goals and stay focused on them throughout the year. It will also allow you to reflect on past mistakes or successes so that you can learn from them and become more intentional with future decisions.
Step 5: Be intentional with your relationships
Being intentional with your relationships can help make the most out of your New Year's list by helping you identify which relationships are worth investing in and which ones may be emotional clutter.
By being mindful of the time you spend with people, you will be able to identify those who support and encourage you as well as those who drain your energy. This will allow you to make conscious decisions about how much time to invest in each relationship and help ensure that your New Year's resolutions are supported by positive relationships.
Step 6: Start budgeting
Budgeting can help you understand exactly what you're spending your money on, allowing you to make better decisions and cut back where necessary.
By budgeting, you'll be able to identify areas where you can save money, such as by reducing your spending on unnecessary items or finding cheaper alternatives for services that cost a lot. This will allow you to reduce your expenses and start saving for the things on your list more easily.
Step 7: Consolidate memories
Consolidating memories can help you make the most out of your New Year's list by helping you to organize and preserve important items. For example, you could create a photo book or digital archive of old photos and cards, or even pack away mementos in a small box. This will allow you to easily access these memories when needed while also freeing up space on shelves or in boxes.
Additionally, regularly revisiting the first step of your minimalism journey will help keep you motivated and focused on why you're trying to live more minimally in the first place.
What is minimalism and how can it help me start the year right?
Minimalism is a lifestyle philosophy that aims to reduce the clutter and unnecessary items in one's life and focus on the things that matter most. It encourages people to ask themselves what is essential, what can be discarded, and what can be shared in order to live more simply.
Minimalism can help you start the year right by helping you focus on your goals and priorities. By eliminating distractions such as social media use or trendy goods, minimalists are able to devote more time and energy towards achieving their goals. Additionally, minimalism helps simplify life by reducing clutter and streamlining tasks so they are easier to manage. With this simplified lifestyle comes increased productivity which allows you to spend more time focusing on what matters most instead of wasting precious time searching for misplaced items or scrolling through endless feeds of content.
How can I declutter my home and become a minimalist?
1. Determine your motivations: Think about what goals you are trying to achieve by decluttering your home. Are you looking to free up space for guests, do at-home workouts, or change the aesthetic of a room?
2. Set up a plan: Once you have identified your motivations, create a step by step plan on how to achieve them. This may include donating items that are no longer needed, selling furniture that doesn’t fit the new aesthetic of the room or moving items from one room to another for better organization.
3 .Execute on plan: Follow through with each task in the plan and stick with it until completion so that everything is done efficiently and effectively!
4 .Monitor progress: Keep track of how much has been completed throughout this process so far and make adjustments if necessary (such as more time dedicated towards decluttering tasks).
What tips and tricks do I need to know to live a minimalist lifestyle?
To live a minimalist lifestyle, it is important to understand the key principles of minimalism. These include:
– Decluttering your home and getting rid of things you don't need or use regularly.
– Living with only the items that add value to your life and fit into your lifestyle.
– Refusing to buy items just because they are on sale or because you have a coupon for them.
– Avoiding multiples of the same item (e.g., multiple towels) unless it is essential for your household.
How can I achieve my minimalist goals for the New Year?
1. Set goals: Before you begin your minimalist journey, it is important to set specific goals that you want to achieve. These could be anything from decluttering your home, to reducing screen time, or even saving money for a particular goal.
2. Focus on what matters: Once you have identified your goals, focus all of your energy on accomplishing them and ignore everything else that may distract you from reaching them.
3. Simplify life: Minimalism can help simplify life by reducing clutter and distractions so that you can focus more on what matters most to you and reach your goals quicker than before!
What are the benefits of minimalism?
The benefits of minimalism include: improving quality of life, decluttering your home, saving money, freeing up time to engage in activities you care about, and living more sustainably. Minimalists generally experience higher levels of autonomy, awareness and positive emotions in general due to their reduced material possessions. They also have more time for the things that matter most to them without having to worry about finances or cleaning/decluttering their home regularly. Additionally, minimalism can help reduce emissions and waste produced by goods due to reduced purchases.
What are some minimalism tips to help me stay on track?
Here are some minimalism tips to help you stay on track:
1. Start small. Begin by changing your shopping habits or going digital, for example.
2. Set goals and make an action plan to help you reach them more easily. For example, if your goal is to reduce the clutter in your home, create a checklist of items you want to get rid of and when it's okay to throw them away or donate them.
3. Be mindful of what you consume – limit yourself from buying new items that may not be necessary and focus on making use of what you already have in order to live a minimalist lifestyle more sustainably..
How can I create a minimalist wardrobe?
1. Research your style and determine what pieces are essential for your shape, aesthetic, and lifestyle.
2. Purge your closet of any items that do not fit the criteria you have set for minimalist style or are no longer in season or relevant to your life anymore.
3. Create a list of all the items you need to build out a minimalist wardrobe and purchase them one by one over time as needed based on wear & tear or changing trends in fashion & style.
4. Store each item neatly in its own designated space so it is easy to find when needed without having to dig through piles of clothes looking for it!
How can I break free from the clutter and distraction of possessions?
1. Start by identifying the items that you no longer need or use. These can include clothes, household goods, gadgets and other items that are simply taking up space in your home.
2. If you are having trouble making decisions about what to keep or toss, ask yourself important questions such as “Do I need it?” “When was the last time I used it?” “What would I use if I didn't have it?” and “Why do I have it?” This will help you make more informed decisions about what should stay or go in your home.
3. Once you've identified all of the clutter in your home that needs to go, decide how best to get rid of it (don't forget about those broken items!). You could donate them to charity, sell them online or give them away to family members who may still find use for them..
4 . Finally , take some time each day (or even one room at a time) to chip away at this task until everything has been decluttered from your home!
What is the best way to declutter my home and start fresh?
1. Find a decluttering method that works for you. There are many different methods, such as the KonMari Method, which focuses on discarding items one at a time while taking notes on why they are being discarded. Other popular methods include downsizing, donating items to charity, selling them online and storing larger items in shipping containers for later sorting out.
2. Start small by choosing one room or area of your home to focus on at first (such as the living room or kitchen). Then take it step by step and tackle one item at a time until the whole room is cleared out and decluttered
3. Ask yourself questions like “Do I need it?” “When was the last time I used this item?” “What would I use if I didn't have this item?” “Why do I have it?” This will help you determine whether an item should be kept or discarded based on its usefulness in your life right now
4 . Donate unused items to charity if they are still in good condition; otherwise throw them away if necessary . If you plan on selling items online , make sure they are clean and in good condition before listing them for
Ready to make your New Year's list?
The new year is a great time to start fresh and set yourself up for success. By following these tips, you can make this your best year yet!
Share some snippets from your list and goals with me in the comments.